Monday, November 28, 2011

Channeling Dorothy Parker

- A Style Showcase [in-depth] 
This is the follow-up post to the previous one below. I decided to split it up into two separate posts because my new hat deserved a style showcase close-up. It's a one-of-a-kind piece to me. 

In past posts I have talked about that 'diamond in the rough'. It's how I like to explain finding a unique accessory or piece of clothing that doesn't really match or fit any other trend that is out at that time. I think it's a fashion forecasting technique that buyer's do to test the waters. Maybe they don't think that trend will necessarily be a hit, so they will put out one random piece and depending on how that item sells they can feel secure enough to bring it out in full-force for the next season. I could be completely wrong about this, since I have never studied fashion forecasting in a professional setting, but I would imagine that it's a good tactic to see if trends will be a 'hit' or a 'miss.' 

We've seen this fall a LOT of 70's boho chic, 80's colorblock, and 90's denim grunge. These are the dominant trends - give or take a few new kinks and re-workings of past styles. 

But has there been a dominance of 20's fashion? I think it's safe to say that throwing 20's style into the mix of fall trends is a little random and risky. Yet some gutsy fashion buyer saw the 20's potential and decided to put THE CLOCHE back onto the market! 

The Cloche was the staple hat accessory for women in the 20's who were sporting that infamous and  rebellious 'bob' hair-cut! 

Here is a cartoon portrait of the female poet and prose writer, Dorothy Parker: 
Dorothy is wearing the signature cloche hat. 

If you are interested, I would definitely recommend reading some of her stuff. She was a bad-ass of her time, the Carrie Bradshaw of the 1920's. She was an outspoken and independent women with the occasional relationship issues every modern woman seems to be facing today! She is a timeless author so her stories relate to our present day troubles as well. Being able to stay relevant is the key to success, I believe.  

Fast-forward, 2011. Window shopping one weekend I found a cloche hat in the middle of chaos. It was calling out to me, it looked so lonely. I had to buy it, especially because all the other girls were too busy buying faux fur vests, I wanted to make the difference. It was one of the best purchases I have made in a long time! Love at first sight! 

Courtesy of: Tally Weijl 
___________________________________________________________________

I always tell myself my next post will be short, no more explaining, but it seems I can't help myself. 
Well,sometimes we need the background story to understand the significance of a certain fashion trend.
Did you like the historical aspect to this post, or was it too boring? I thought it would be nice to fuse my three favorite things into one post - history - literature and fashion!  

***Scroll down to previous post to see part.1 of today's updates!***
It has been fun, but now I'm sleepy. Beauty-rest is in order and then tomorrow a 'Celeb Style 4 Le$$' post! 
:-) WOOO I'm excited!!! 

2 comments:

  1. you are sooo cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the background story to the hat...which is adorable.

    ReplyDelete